Buying a new home is very exciting, but if you are moving your family, it helps to prepare them for living in a new home. When moving with children, it is common for them to experience homesickness and a bit of anxiety about living in a new home. Make the most of your move and follow these tips to help your children feel at home in your new house!
- Keep children involved in the moving process – Keep children in the loop and involve them in planning and packing. Allow them to help pack their own rooms or favorite items. Younger children might even enjoy decorating their boxes with markers or crayons.
- Familiarize with new surroundings – Spend some time in the area surrounding your new home before you make the move. If there are parks nearby, walk children around or go for a bike ride so that they will feel comfortable and familiar.
- Become involved in new schools – If your children will be switching schools with the move, reach out to the school and schedule a visit. Allow children to meet their new teacher and set them up with after-school activities to help them meet friends.
- Continue family pastimes – Bring family traditions from your old house to the new one to help children feel at home. Start new traditions in your new home too! Find a restaurant that you all love or make a family game night.
- Stay positive – Children will likely develop feelings about the move by watching their parents. Stay positive about the move to create reassurance with children. If you are excited, they will be excited!
Call me today to set up an appointment to look at your home buying options. I would love to help you find a home where your family can grow together and make fantastic memories!