Micro homes are currently all the rage in media recently. This groundbreaking concept provides eco-friendly homes with a living area, kitchen, bathroom and sleeping area all seamlessly integrated into an extremely small space. In addition to being great for the environment, they provide flexibility for those who move around frequently. Because micro homes are easily transportable and do not require a large lot, they allow owners to live almost anywhere, and move whenever they would like.
For the majority of people, micro homes won’t fit their overall needs, but smaller living spaces definitely have perks. Less square footage typically means a lower mortgage payment and less maintenance. Whether you’re in the market for a small home or condo, storage space can often present an issue.
Here are a few tips and tricks for making the most out of small spaces
- Keep furniture away from the walls. While it may be your first instinct to push furniture against the walls to create more floor space, it can actually make the room look smaller. Floating furniture near the center of the room can add volume and make the space look more airy.
- Add shelves to already existing fixtures. Often, cabinets take up too much space for the amount of storage they actually provide. A simple solution? Add more shelving. Consider adding vertical dividers to your kitchen cabinets for cookie sheets and pot lids. You can also add wire baskets inside of bathroom cabinets to house toiletries.
- Invest in multi-use furniture. Furniture that serves more than one purpose is a huge space saver. Ottomans that serve as storage for blankets and linens are a great investment. Using a trunk with a flip up lid for a coffee table can also serve as additional storage.
- Utilize your wall space. In addition to hanging pots and pans on the wall in your kitchen, you can also add pegboard to organize all your kitchen gadgets. The same concept can be applied for jewelry. Use pegboard or wall hooks to hang necklaces and bracelets.
- Use stackable containers. Clear plastic storage containers can provide space saving organization for almost any room. Use them for seasonal clothing in your closet or for food items in your pantry.
For more small space storage hacks, click here. Whether you are in the market for a condo, townhouse or looking for a cozy space to call your own, I am always here to advise you about the best loan for your home purchase. Call me today!
To learn more about micro homes, click here
Tags: Home Improvement