Moving into a new home is exciting, but finding yourself in an unpacked home surrounded by boxes can often be overwhelming. As you unpack your home, tackle one room at a time. Decide which items are essential and unpack those boxes first. Here are some simple steps to make unpacking your new home a breeze!
- Begin by cleaning – Before you begin unpacking your home, it is an excellent idea to give it a good cleaning. Even if your home is new or was cleaned before you moved in, wiping down counters is a great place to start.
- Set up a place to sleep – Put the bed(s) together, complete with pillows and fresh linens. At the end of a long day of unpacking, having a bed to sleep in will be a must!
- Unpack the kitchen – As the heart of most homes, the kitchen is a wonderful next step to continue unpacking necessities. This will allow your family to be able to gather and share meals in an area that serves as an oasis from the other unpacked rooms.
- Move on to the bathroom – Having your bathroom set up will help make you feel at home. Settling your toiletries, cosmetics, and other items in their proper place will allow you to resume your daily routine.
- Organize closets – Unpacking your clothing into closets and dressers will further allow you to resume your daily routine. This will also help you determine what kinds of hangers or shelving you may need to add to your closet in order to best fit all of your belongings.
- Finish with the remaining boxes – The remaining boxes of odds and ends are often the most difficult to unpack and place. As you unpack these items, reorganize as you go. You may find things that need to be placed in a storage unit or can be stored in the attic. This is also a great time to consider purging and donating items that no longer work in your new space.
Although you don’t need to rush to try to complete everything in one day, make a plan to ensure the unpacking process doesn’t take months. Leaving boxes unpacked for prolonged periods of time can increase stress and won’t help you adjust to your new place.
If purchasing a new home or refinancing your current home is one of your goals for the coming months, I would love to talk to you! Call me today to set up an appointment.